Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Endless Paperwork!

Did you know that you have to give your ss# for a sewer bill? That seems a tad ridiculous to me....plus they bill 2 months behind. So, while are taking ownership on the 30th, we will receive a bill in October for the sewage used from about the middle of July to the middle of August - when we weren't owners. I understand that it will all come out in the wash....but I don't think it's a very efficient way to do things. So basically, I can use tons of sewage in the last 2 months I live here and not have to pay for it....since someone else will be getting that bill. How silly!

I was also asked to provide the copy of the check that cleared for our earnest money deposit. So, I got online, downloaded the copy of the check that had cleared, and faxed it to the mortgage broker. Then a week later, I receive a request from the lender to send an updated statement SHOWING the check had cleared. I have several problems with this. 1. If the check had not cleared, then why would it be posted to my account where I could print a copy of it. 2. They have the previous 2 months of statements from my accounts and the copy of the check that has cleared...which is more than enough information to show that there were sufficient funds in the accounts to clear the check. This is the same thing that happened with VCU when we were paying off the end of Buddy's school tuition. She wouldn't send the diploma until I sent her my bank statement. I sent a copy of the cleared check and the statement with everything EXCEPT the check blacked out (it's none of her business how much is in my account or other charges I've made as long as her check cleared). Needless to say, it was not enough information for her...so we had to wait until their bank said the check had cleared to get the diploma. Oh well - bureaucracy is everywhere!

On a positive note, we decided what type of flooring we want to put down - 100% natural floating bamboo flooring - the cherry color. We've also decided that we need to wait a while before we do this since it will be expensive, and everyone we've talked to at Lowe's has given us a different answer about whether the particular one we like is actually a floating floor or not. So, we will continue to research this, but in the meantime, we have decided to only clean and paint before we move. Then we'll have to decide exactly what we want to do with the kitchen and flooring and when we can afford to do this.

No comments: