Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The best way to spread Christmas cheer

Last night, I "wrapped" my first Christmas presents - or rather, I supervised as the youth at Bible study wrapped presents for a family in need. Another small group at the church donated the money for the family, and our youth went shopping last week and wrapped the presents this week. It always warms my heart when so many of them show up for Bible study by their own choice - something they don't have to do and it's always "for them", and yet they come week after week to learn something new about the Bible and spend time with each other and do things for other people (sometimes who they don't even know).

Since they know about our Christmas cookie tradition, they were disappointed that I didn't bring any extra cookies last night, but Buddy promised we would bring lots next week (a variety of what was left from this week). As to the offers to drop by unannounced to sample cookies - I informed them that they had to help decorate if they came by :) Either way, I win that battle!

Day 2: Melt in your mouth sugar cookies
Definitely not better than the snicker doodles, but I didn't have any complaints with the lunch bunch. I was a little surprised that the sugar in the recipe was powdered sugar and not regular white or brown sugar.....but they were pretty decent. If I'd thought a little about it, I might have made these closer to the end of the month and decorated them....instead we went with vanilla royal icing - still good, but could have been cuter.

Our 2nd book was Moosletoe by Margie Palatini. Definitely a cute read - Buddy and I took turns with him reading the BOLD words and me reading the rest. He fell asleep about half-way through (it was midnight by the time we were ready for bed...) so I had to nudge him awake to read his words - but we made it!

So far so good - day 2 and still on track...now just to finish the decorating/sorting/cleaning/donating part of Christmas decorations....maybe I should really invite those youth over to help ;)

No comments: